Our mac and cheese is simple and has lots of flavor from the cheeses and ground chipotle chile.
We use conchiglie pasta because its shape allows more melted cheese to pool inside. Yum!
- 1 package (16 ounces) small pasta shells
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Manchego or additional white cheddar cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses until melted. Add to pasta; toss to coat.